Harrison Police Chief Paul Woodruff said 42-year-old William Fredrick is suspected of shooting and killing his estranged wife, 46-year-old Sheila Fredrick, then killing himself in an apparent murder suicide at her residence on East Bunn just after 12 a.m. Wednesday. Woodruff said Sheila held a valid order of protection order against William.

Woodruff said Shelia called the HPD just after midnight Wednesday to report William was armed with a gun and was trying to kick in her front door. Another caller about the same reported seeing William with a gun outside Shelia’s residence.

When officers arrived, they encountered Shelia’s 13-year-old son outside the residence.

Woodruff said the boy told officers he was inside the residence when he saw William kick in the door and enter with the gun. The boy picked up a baseball bat and hit the gun, causing it to discharge and fly out of William’s hands.

He then ran to his bedroom, locked the door and crawled out a rear window to go call for help. Woodruff said the boy reported hearing two gunshots from inside the residence.

When officers entered, they found both William and Sheila in the rear master bedroom dead of apparent gunshot wounds. Woodruff said their bodies and all evidence recovered from the residence will be sent to the state Crime Lab for examination.

Woodruff said either Shelia or neighbors had called the HPD more than 15 times since Oct. 9 reported William either outside Sheila’s residence, trying to get in or driving past her house.

After that Oct. 9 call, Woodruff said, William was located a few blocks away and issued a written warning for criminal trespass. Such a warning allows officers to immediately arrest an individual if he/she returns to the location.

Records show that Sheila called the HPD about 2:15 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 16, to report she thought William was outside her residence.

Woodruff said officers responded and followed a trail in a field near Sheila’s residence, where they located and arrested William for criminal trespass. He was released after posting $930 bond.

Woodruff also said officers found evidence that William had been staying in a small cave in that pasture and had possibly been lying in the pasture watching Sheila’s residence.

Officers responded several more times to Sheila’s residence, but William would flee into the pasture and back to his car parked at another location.

Police filed affidavits for William’s arrest for violation of a protection order on Dec. 4 after Sheila went to the HPD to file a formal complaint, records show.

Woodruff said Sheila was leaving her residence about 4:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, when she found William standing on her driveway. She pepper sprayed him and he fled on foot.

A police report shows a subject called the HPD about 4:45 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 11, to report William had tried to climb through Sheila’s window. Woodruff said another affidavit was filed for his arrest on violation of protection order, criminal trespass and harassment.

Another report shows Shelia call police about 11:20 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 18, to report she thought William was accessing one of her Internet accounts that could only be accessed from her home computer.

An officer said no one was at the residence when he arrived, but Woodruff said an affidavit was filed for William’s arrest on residential burglary and violation of a protection order.

He also said police had been looking for William since that date to arrest him on probable cause for the residential burglary charge, a felony, but they hadn’t located him.

“As of today’s date we have had no warrants issued,” Woodruff said Wednesday morning.

Woodruff said Fredrick was free on bail from an incident that happened outside the city with Sheila as the possible victim.

Records show William was booked into the Boone County Jail at 2:44 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 27, on charges of first-degree criminal mischief, third-degree domestic battery and violation of a protection order with no bond amount shown, but he was released on bond about 11 a.m. the following day.

The details of that incident weren’t available Wednesday morning due to official offices being closed for the Christmas holiday.

Woodruff said Sheila’s residence had been placed on expanded patrol, but the Prosecutor’s Office had requested William be interviewed by police in regard to the residential burglary incident before a warrant was issued.

(4) comments


So Sad!!!!!That's why we need the 2nd amendment, if she would of had a gun, and properly trained in the use of it, things might of turned out different. Don't take a baseball bat to a gun fight. Doesn't sound good for our legal system.


@local citizen ... we CANNOT place the blame for this tragic incident solely on the police department.. The police responded to all incidences she called in on, it seems to me the blame needs to be placed squarely on the shoulders of the prosecutor’s office for failing to issue warrants for his arrest. Wanting to interview him first??? Really??? What did they really need to interview him for BEFORE he was arrested? Getting him off the street and away from this poor woman and her son should have been their very FIRST priority!

local citizen

This is a disgrace. Serve and protect huh.

Edie Angel

Another time where the justice system failed the victim! So terribly sad!

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.